Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Creda Europa solarplus fitted oven which is tripping the

Customer Question

creda Europa solarplus fitted oven which is tripping the main RCD intermittently when the door is open. The oven has been meggered and there is no earth fault ( hard on fault that is )
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am tempted to just replace the element but with Christmas approaching I'd liked to be sure that it is the element that is at fault and replacing it is going to provide a permanent solution.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Elements are usually the part that failes when it trips the electrics out. But if you have meggered them out and theres no fault then its possibley not the elements.

But these ovens usually have a door switch on the side of the oven.

Remove the side panel of the oven and there you should see the door switch. Now what happens a lot is the switch burns out and the wiring can short out against the casing so that could be why its doing it when the door is open.

So check that door switch first and see how it goes from there and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did suspect the door switch and extracted the oven from the housing to get at the side panel. There did not appear to be a problem but I put a bit of heat shrink over the connections just in case. I shall re-visit this switch and take it out for a closer look to be sure. In the meantime I have ordered a new element but I don't have any great confidence in that being the problem. How do these ovens switch the 2.5Kw load? I assume it is a solid state switch, if this is not a zero crossing type is it possible this could be causing the imbalance between phase and neutral when it switches that is tripping the RCD? The intermittent nature of this fault is the biggest problem. If you google "Creda Europa Solarplus oven trips RCD" you will find an identical fault reported for the same type of oven, but no solution found there either.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If the wires in the switch are fine then it wont be the door switch.

Now ive seen elements fail when its under load. So when cold and meggered out its fine but as it gets hotter and hotter it then leaks to earth and trips the rcd out. So pull the oven out and very carefully remove the back and run the oven like that.

When it does trip out then megger it and test the elements. The you will see the short on the megger. Then you need to disconnect the element at the back and see if it clears the earth fault on the megger and if it does then its the element thats causing the fault so try that if you can and see what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A colleague of mine who had been looking at this problem with me suggested the same thing. What makes me slightly doubtful is the fact that the RCD never fails to reset. Even while the element has been hot and I have reset it immediately after a trip i.e. I was at the consumer unit when it tripped. I will try the megger on a hot element and even a small change from the cold value might suggest a fault.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok check that and see what you find as if the rcd isnt resetting then its a direct short to earth so try that and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the RCD wasn't resetting then I might be closer to putting a finger on the problem but the fault is always a transitory one and on going to the consumer unit the trip is always capable of being reset. By the way it is a 100mA pattern so no over sensitive unit there). I will try and extract the oven today from the housing and do a "hot" insulation check.