Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Replaced bulb on light socket in ice dispenser noticed bulb

Customer Question

replaced bulb on light socket in ice dispenser noticed bulb is very dim...replaced control board still the same...replaced main board still the same...everything else is working...oh I even tested the socket by directly pluging into wall with jumpers lights fine I'm a service tech for pepsi trouble shooting is my game please help my wife wants light on ...lol
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue has to be low voltage to the socket. We need to see exactly how the voltage gets there to determine where to test.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hotpoint hss22ifmbcc s number ha244538
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That model uses a 12 VDC bulb. It is powered through the low voltage dispenser board. Do you have a meter to test the voltage at the socket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you see what voltage you are seeing at the socket? Also, you are using 12 VDC bulbs, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking all over bulb to see I cant find where it says dc or av for that matter...I am in the u.s. and its ac currant in the house
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Correct, but the voltage changes at the board in the back to DC voltage at the dispenser. Did you buy the bulb locally? You will probably need to order the correct bulb, that is probably the issue.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it at lowes I really would be surprised if that were the issue....but what should the volts be and I should be in dc on the meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is a 12 volt DC socket, so you would need the correct bulb. I doubt Lowe's carries that bulb in a DC with that base.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I have a appliance store that I can go to in the morning I will get a bulb and be very happy if that is the issue also I will feel very stupid if it is that...lol
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the voltage is 12 VDC at the socket, it is a bulb issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well I will check the voltage ...give me a min
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kid came home with car troubles I will check it after work tom
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sure, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..i checked voltage at socket it was like 002 so no power to socket ...also checked bulb and it is dc so new boards and still no power.....and I cant rate you when is still not working and why did they charge my card more when its not fixed yet
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I don't have any access to the accounting stuff, only this question. I assume you must have gotten an auto message for rating, also nothing I have control over. If there is no voltage at the socket, how is the light bulb working but dim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like I said its 002 so its got a little power I guess is why dim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what to try next
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So 2/100 of a volt? That would not make the light glow at all. Are you sure you are reading your meter correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no 2 volts
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the rest of the dispenser board is working, that means the DC voltage from the main board in the back is working. That means the dispenser board has issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I have replaced the main board and the control board the only reason I went this far for a light is because ge sold them to me cheap cause of recall notices. I am just really tired of fooling with it but I can call g e and see if they will send another one
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If all connections are good and no issues at the door hinge connections, that will probably be the required action.