Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a zanussi 1600 washing machine that won't turn on.

Customer Question

I have a zanussi 1600 washing machine that won't turn on. Seems to get some power to the display but not enough to light it up
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zwd16270w1 is the exact model. The small display that usually shows time lights up when you turn the dial to a program but nothing is shown. If you try to press start then nothing happens. No other lights come on that usually do at all
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

9 times out of 10 this is a main control board fault that causes this.

What you need to do is pull the washer out and remove the top of it.

Look behind the control panel and you will see a small square control board.

On the bottom of this is a small red wiring harness going to the main control board.

Disconnect that wiring block and then plug the washer in and see if it comes back on. If it does then the dryer board is the issue and will need to be replaced.

But if it doesnt then the main control board will be the fault on this. To be honest its neraly always the main control board that causes this but the odd time ive found the dryer board to. So by doing the above you can see which is the fault from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, thanks. If it is the main board, is it easy to switch out if i can get new one? I found a spare on ebay for under £50 (unlike on another official spar sight for nearly £250!) I have no specific training but consider myself fairly handy around electronics. I don't want to try if i'm guaranteed to mess it up but it seems as if official parts and labour are gonna end up with me having to buy a new machine.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Fitting the part is easy. But if you have found a second hand one then great. But just make sure it's from the excate same model as they all look the same but have different software in them as some washers do different programmes. So of its not the same model then it won't work as you cannot reprogram them without the computer program to do this I'm afraid.

So double check the model number first before you get it.

Regard