Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have the K3990X7GB Neff - the freezer compartment is not

Customer Question

Hi, I have the K3990X7GB Neff - the freezer compartment is not lowering to the right temperature and all the food is only cold and not frozen - ice doesn't freeze etc. The display states -22 and it has been on a 'super freeze' overnight too. Do you know why this might be happening? Thanks!
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Is the fridge section still working ok?

Also if you remove the baskets inside the freezer and look on the back wall in the freezer do you see any ice or frost on there.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, The fridge is working fine, and there is no ice on the back of the freezer behind the baskets. The food in there is more or less fully defrosted, and the ice tray that has been sat in there is still just water so clearly not getting cold enough. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a picture of the display on the front.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

The display on these dont actually show the temperture it is inside the freezer. It only shows the temperture you have set it to so ingorne the display as all this is showing is the settings you have set it to.

Are you able to access the back of the appliance?

If so pull it out and remove the panel at the back at the bottom and there you will see the compressor and the condenser fan.

Check to see if these are running.

Also feel the compressor and is it hot to touch?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, I have felt the fan and it has an airflow coming from it, not much mind you but a little, and the compressor does not feel hot to touch. I'm going offline now until tomorrow morning, if you have further diagnostics please do send them over. I can do these first thing tomorrow morning before work and get back to you with an update. Thanks a lot for your help. Nathan
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ok if they are both running then what you need to do when you can is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.

Behind there you will see the evaporator unit. Check to see if this is blocked with ice. If so then use a hairdryer and melt it all.

But if theres no ice there and just little frosting on the evaporator unit then this is a system fault. Either a poor pumping compressor or its short of gas. For either of them you need to get a fridge engineer in as this isnt a diy fix as they need to put there gauges on the pipe work and see what pressure the compressor is pumping at and the level of gas in there.

So check them above and see what you find and let me now.

Regards