Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Problems with a bosch 3 in 1 dishwasher

Customer Question

Problems with a bosch 3 in 1 dishwasher
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

What problem are you having?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tap symbol on pump constantly running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Machine is stripped and awaiting further information.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the pump is running constantly then this is usually down to water leaking in the base of the dishwasher and activating the flood switch which keeps the pump running all the time.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lie it on its back. This will allow the water to drain out from the base. So you may need a towel for that.

Then stand it upright and retry it and see how it goes.

Try that and see what happens and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water in the Base as far as i can see. Side panel and kick panel are off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water around polystyrene float which operates pump micro switch.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you have tried that all ready and its not water activating it then look on the left hand side in the bottom right corner.

There you should see a red plastic rod going into the base.

Lift this up and down as sometimes it can get stuck up.

So make sure its in the down position and then try it and see what happens and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No red rod is fine. Lift up pump kicks in, let go it drops and pump stops immediately
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry a bit confussed now.

In your question you say the pump is running all the time.

But you just said when you lift the rod up and down the pump stops.

What actually is happening to the dishwasher?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.
So I reset the machine start an auto cycle.
Pump kicks in briefly as normal then starts to fill with water.
On filling you can hear it bubbling away.
On reaching a certain point of filling the machine then stalls.
Then pump keeps kicking in intermittently.
Machine then tries to fill again. Repeat and so on.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok im with you now.

Can you post the model number of the dishwasher please. Its usually ecthed into the door frame on the top left hand side as you open the door and starts E-nr

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shv55mo3gb/79
I'm usually pretty handy with this stuff hence having the machine stripped and ready but it's got me beat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any joy?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Just looking up the service info so give us a few minuites and i will reply back.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok try this and see what happens.

Look on the front and remove the metal panel below the door just above the plastic base.

There on the far left is a hose. Pull this hose out but make sure the water has drained out from inside first.

Once you have removed the hose give this a good clean out as this can block up so what happens is the water doesnt enter the dishwasher fast enough so the water backs up ad activates the overflow switch which then brings the pump on.

Try that and see how it goes and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy. Have also removed the plastic intestine looking thing that does the filling and cleaned as it looked scaled up around the top part. Next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did fill for longer this time though.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok as it fills with water look at the filling tank on the left hand side.

Towards the bottom there will be a blue plastic bar. Watch it as it fills and see if this bar is getting pushed out and that the point the drain pump kicks in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't see any blue bar. Is the filling tank the intestinal thing referred to earlier or the small tank adult to the red rod. There is a red diaphragm attached to that part which kicks up and down as the pump kicks in and out
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry my fault. I forgot this is the older model so it doesnt have the blue bar.

But the small tank were the red rod is is the pressure chamber as this controls the water going in. So if this is blocked up it can also cause problems. Try and remove this and give it a clean out as i think the fault is somewere on the pressure chamber side.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup also looking grubby. My next step. Will report back shortly if I havent thrown the f ing thing up the garden
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ha ha no worries.

I will be online till about 11pm roughly, Just wacthing the football.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy. All cleaned. But still kicking in on the micro switch.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok strange as when this happens its because the water doesnt enter fast enough in the sump so the pressure builds up in the pressure chamber.

Not sure if you have tried this but turn the water pressure to the dishwasher down to about half.

Then try it and see what happens then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope still the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diaphragm is basically continually activating the micro switch as the rrservoir next to it is full. Every time the pump kicks in it cavitates the intestine loop thing which continues to fill. God knows how much bloody water it used last night!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Very strange as if its doing this its nearly always the hose at the front that goes from the filling tank on the side to the sump.

When you removed the hose did you feel into the sump end and check there wasnt anything blocked in there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup it's probably 20mm in diameter so couldn't see how that could get blocked.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

It gets blocked with gunge quite a lot that hose. Its something we see a lot as it builds up over time.

Im afraid im going to opt out now as i think its going to be hard to pin point this down for you online without being there. As all the checks we can do you have done already. So its going to be a hard one to answer without being there and seeing it personally, Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get my eleven quid back than?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, You need to contact customer services from you home page and they will sort it.

But please just dont rate this as poor as you are rating me not the site and theres just some problems we cannot fix over the internet which im sure you understand.

But you can still get a refund without rating the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries. England are winning if nowt else!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Thats a good way to look at it ha ha