Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Samsung RS20CCSV side by side fridge freezer which

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RS20CCSV side by side fridge freezer which has developed an issue lately. Basically noticed ice on the floor of the freezer so thought that it must be a blocked drain hole. Upon further investigation found approximately half inch of solid ice on at the bottom of the heater element. I defrosted it and checked that the drain hole freely letting water pass through it, and put it all back together.
Anyway has reoccurred again so have removed the heating element as suspected that was at fault but when connected to power it heats up and works.So not sure what the issue could be, almost seems like the heating element is being powered when in the freezer.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay inreplying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are youstill looking for help with this?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob,Yes still looking for help with this.Many thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Im guessing that when you say in your last sentence "almost seems like the heating element is being powered when in the freezer." Im guessing its a typo and you mean its NOT being powered?

I would check this with a meter to be sure that the heater is not getting voltage.

If that the case you need to check the main pcb as this is what sends the voltage

Thanks

.Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob,Yes typo as you suggest, apologies as couldn't edit it after posting!Regarding checking that the heating element isn't getting voltage, am I right to assume that the heating element will not be getting powered continuously and I will need to know when it should be? Is ther a set cycle for the heating element or is it governed by a sensor. Would I need to connect a volt meter and wait to see what happens? Would be hours before the heating element would normally be powered? Or is there a way to make the freezer power it while I am checking it?If I did need to replace the Main pcb where a outs is that located please?Many thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ihave put a call out for the schematics of this machine

WhileIm waiting Ill opt out.

Thismeans that if someone else has this information, they will respond toyou directly.

Inthe meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this question, as thiswill lock your question

Thanks

Rob

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The heater is working, the drain is just not allowing the water to drain. Cut a number 12 gauge copper wire and wrap it twice around the heater and then stick it down that drain. That will prevent it from freezing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kelly, am I right to assume that it's not a bare wire that goes down the drain hole and just bare where it's wrapped around the heater?Also can you advise if the timing of the heater coming on is determined by a sensor? And how long does the heater tend to stay on for? Many thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The entire wire will be bare. The purpose is for the wire to heat up when the heater comes on to melt any ice that may form to plug the drain. The ground wire in house wiring works great for this if you have any spare wire laying around. The heater is controlled by the electronic controller, the time it stays on varies but max time is about 15 minutes every time it goes into defrost.