Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have the Ultima WDD960 and have what sounds like a similar

Customer Question

Hi
I have the Ultima WDD960 and have what sounds like a similar problem to one i've seen on the site.
My machine is making anoise on high spin, the problem is I can't seem to get the top off this machine?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The noise is likely a bearing or something stuck in the drain pump impeller. Does the noise start as soon as it is begins to pump out? Or, does it get louder as it spins? Have you cleaned the pump filter that is located behind the lower panel in the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly
The noise is only when the spin has reached top speed, whether that be 1600, 1400 or 1200 rpm. I started by taking off the back panel. The bearing that was visible to me looked perfectly fine and there is very little movement in the drum up and down. There were a few deep scrathes on the inside of that rear panel?
I wanted to take the top off the machine to check there. There are only 2 screws at the back but couldn't take the lid off after removing them as it seemed to be secured at the front. I removed the insert to the detergent drawer but couldn't find anything there that was holding it.
Can I just explain that I used to be a mechanical fitter but am now disabled with a very small kitchen so couldn't get the machine all the way out from under the counter, so this may be part of the problem :-$
I have also tried smaller loads
Regards
Cat
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Does the tub come out of balance a lot? The scratches on the back panel are usually indicative of excessive tub movement. The tub has shock absorbers on the bottom to help with movement, one may be broken or worn and not able to maintain position well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again
The drum feels fairly solid except it does swing front to back, horizontally, quite a bit, but as far as I know this could be normal.
I don't know how to strip down the machine to look underneath the drum, I've never took one apart before, or is it just a case of tipping the machine?
I'm afraid I am quite unwell this evening and struggling to put a sentence together. This also means I am currently unable to tackle the machine to take a look.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You will just need to get a look under the tub once the back panel is removed. There is no hurry, just post back as you are able. Well wishes to you, my friend. I hope you get to feeling better soon!