Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Lamona larder freeze. over freezing

Customer Question

lamona larder freeze. over freezing
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

If you access the evaporator unit at the very top inside the freezer is this covered in ice in there?

Does the freezer start to defrost itself?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the evaporator unit was solid and ice had come right out the vents. it has been defrosted now by turning it off at the mains. it would not defrost its self. acces to this unit is very difficult and i could only get limitted access due to the evaporator unit being fixed to the cover below it. it seems to be held by silver tape. do you need to cut this tape.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Yes you need to cut that sliver tape you see.

These are a nightmare freezer to fix due to the location of the evaporator. As its at the top so theres very little access to the evaporator in there.

Once you do get access then you need to test the defrost heater and see if faulty but if thats ok then its more then likely the thermal cut out in there thats the fault and that will need to be replaced.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi there, thanks for that. can you tell me how to test the heater properly and also there are 3 or 4 sensors kicking about. which one is thecut out. 1 has 4 wires leading to a small unit attached to the evaporator. 2 blue and 2 red i think. the 2 blue and 2 red had continnuity. can i also ask why the digital display does not light up at alll.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

The cut out is the one with the 4 wire, 2 red and 2 blue. If you had contonuity on both then the thermal cut out is fine.

To test the heater you will see the heater wrapped around the evaporator, Follow the heater and at the ends you will see the wiring block. Just test the heater from there for contonuity.

As to the display then no matter the fault on the freezer this should still light up. If theres just nothing there then its possibley the control unit at fault here as the LEDs are part of the board itself so if they dont light up then its going to be the control board here.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi there. there seems to be a display board with the thermostat and a module board. which one is faulty.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Its more likely the thermostat board but to be honest when ever a control board failed Beko told us to replace both. As this freezer is made by Beko.

Parts are not that expensive on these so to be on the safe side we always replaced both of them. But if you only want to do the one then its more then likely the front thermostat board.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

many thanks for your time. can i just ask. is the module board at the back of the machine on the outside.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
the module is at the back of the freezer towards the top. Look on the back and you will see a plastic cover held on with a screw and the module is behind there.

Regards