Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Ive got a Smeg Fab28 fridge. Keep getting a lot of ice build

Customer Question

Hi there,
Ive got a Smeg Fab28 fridge. Keep getting a lot of ice build up at the back of the fridge below the freezer.
As far as I can tell, the thermostat is not working. I have tried turning it down to 1 but the ice build up still happens and items that I place on top shelf of fridge end up freezing.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
If the appliance is getting to cold and creating too much in there then this is usually down to the thermostat not regulating the temperture in there causing the ice to bulid up and get too clod in there.
You will need to replace the thermostat in there and that should cure the fault from there and get the temperture working again from there.
But the odd time it can be a faulty file clip which the thermostat capilery pushes into as this can come away from the evaporator inside the fridge and not sense the correct temperture and cause the same fault. But its quite rare this happens as 9 out of 10 its just the thermostat at fault. But i just had to warn that is a possiblity but very rare it happens.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,
thanks for your response.
Could you give me a run down on how to change the thermostat and also how to check the file clip that you mention above.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Did u get my last message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did reply back to you last night but it looks like it didnt go through.
To replace the thermostat you need to remove the housing that holds the thermostat which is the part you turn to alter the temperture.
Then from there you can remove the thermostat from the fitting and pull the capliery up from the liner. Its quite simple to fit once you have the fitting down.
As to the file clip as i said theres no access to this as its all foamed into the back of the liner so theres no access to this part. If this fails then its game off im afraid. But as i said its quite rare that happens.
Regards