Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Got a problem with my Beko washing machine model number

Customer Question

Got a problem with my Beko washing machine model number WNB81445LW
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The washing machine seemed stuck in cycle and it would not clear with "reset" or power removed. I then put it through test cycle by turning on whilst the dial was in vertical position and holding the rest button. 14 07 was displayed on the display and then I moved dial to bottom positon when all icons were illuminated on display. I then pressed the start button and the machine went through filling the machine and draining but would not do anything else when the button was pressed even after a period of time. I would then have to turn off the machine.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
When you turn it on what actually shows up on the display screen?
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, Hope you can help. It says END and the icon for the main wash is on and its flashing and then this changes to showing the timer 1.21. Cant reset. Just goes between the 2 repeating.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok do you see a picture of a snowflake on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Not that I can remember no. I would need to double check as at work at the moment.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok for the fault you have if it just wont reset and if you have been into test mode and that didnt do anyting then its the control unit at fault.
But if you have the snowflake on the screen this is usually just the programe selector on the board thats failed. For this you need to remove the front control board and replace just the program selector(if fitted) and see if this cures it.
But if its not showing the snowflake then it will need the complete control board replacing and this will cure it.
As if its not resetting then it can only be the electronics control unit at fault that causes this as nothing else in there will cause this fault that you have.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok many thanks for the advice. Sadly the machine is only about 16 months old and was hoping it would be the control unit. In you opinion is it a cost effective repair or just get replacement machine ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry wouldn't be the control unit
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi
To be honest control boards are one of the main parts we replace a lot of on these bekos.
As its only 16 months old then try and give them a bell as sometimes ive seen them do a good will repair for washers thats just out of warrenty.
But you need to press them for this, Just say your not happy with it failing like this and fingers crossed they will do a good will repair for you.
But if they just wont then its possibly not worth fixing. As we call these a throw away washer so when they break there not usually worth fixing giving the price of spares for them compared to the cost of a new washer as spares are quite expensive on these.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your opinion. I will try my luck but not hold any hope. nothing ventured. Any recommendation on next machine?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
For a decent washer you can try either Hotpoint or Zanussi as they are both decent washers.
The hotpoints are not that bad for spares as well as you can get these from anyway as most places sell hotpoint spares.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. With regard to my washing machine fault, sadly after I have fitted a new control board fitted, the fault is still there... gutted....:(. I have noticed that the drum is not turning at all during any test. Cant be a motor fault can it with it only being 16 months old can it ? Is there anyway other advice you can give to try and diagnose this fault please.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so with the new control board its still showing the 1:21 and it wont allow you to reset the control?
Are you able to try a spin only cycle?
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Daniel. No drum does not move at all. It won't spin. It goes through draining and then nothing happens. No spin then it just repeats cycle. No spin or drum movement at all.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok remove the top and do you see a small square circuit board on the right hand side? If so remove this and see if theres any signs or burning on there.
But if you dont have that circuit board then remove the motor and at the back there will be carbon brushes. Remove them and see if they have got stuck. As i dont think they will have worn given its only 16 months old unless its used 4-5 times a day.
But they can stick in the holder so worth checking them first and see what you find.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks again for the advice.There is no circuit board at the top so I will check the motor brushes and get back to you when I have done it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries that's fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Daniel. I have removed the motor from the machine. The motor in this machine is not as I expected as there is no carbon brushes evident to check. It has a bell shaped housing and a circuit board on it. If you do a parts search on the Beko web site it shows it. Can this be tested on the bench? There is also a transformer wired in line to it. Bit of a strange one. Just a reminder that I cannot get the drum to turn at all and when the machine is turned on it goes to drain cycle and repeats over and over and will not go to spin cycle.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok the motor you have is a magnetic type motor. Theres a circuit board inside the motor so the way this works theres no way of bench testing the motor on these im afraid.
Just check the wiring to the motor in there and give the tag a tug in the block incase they have broken inside.
But if the wires are fine and its a new control board then all thats left is the motor which is a case of replacing it im afraid.
Regards