Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Have been trying to work out how to unblock the drain

Customer Question

Hi, have been trying to work out how to unblock the drain for this bosch-logixx-maxx-fridge-freezer-kgu32121gb, it has iced up the base of the freezer - despite being frost-free. Maybe there is a crumb stuck somewhere? Have had a look at the back side, there is water in the tubing but it's not made it into the evaporation tray. Have manually drained what little water there is. Looking inside, there is nothing to see just yet as the bottom drawer is frozen solid. When I get that out, should I be looking to remove the plastic panel? Assuming there must be access to some sort of drain somewhere? Many thanks, ***** *****
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
If the drain is blocked in the freezer then it will be ice. This is quite common on frost free applainces as all it takes is a piece of ice to fall in the hole and it stops the defrost water from draining away so you get this fault.
To clear it you have 2 options. Either turn the applaince off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open as this will clear the drain hole.
Or you need to empty the freezer inside and remove the plastic panel in the freezer at the back.
Behind there you will see the evaporator, Under this is the drain gutter. It will be covered in ice so you need to pore boiling water in there and melt the ice.
Then you will see the drain hole in the center of the gutter. Again pore boiling water in there and poke something in there to clear the hole.
Once clear pore water in there and make sure it drains away ok and thats it job done.
Try one of the above and this will cure the fault you have here.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Daniel, I am having to wait for the ice to defrost enough before the back panel can come off. Do you just pull this off? Are there any lugs or catches that might break if I try this?Regards Jenni
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

It's usually held on by a few screws there. Undo them and then you can remove the panel. But if you are defrosting it anyway then you shouldn't have to remove the panel anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it a go.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just had a tricky session trying to remove the plastic panel, and even worse, refitting it. Some packing fell out, couldn't see where to replace it. There was another sheet of metal that had to be taken out too. There was no visible drain, unless it is the size of a needle hole. Power back on, waiting to see if this has worked. Sorry, but not very impressed.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Sorry not sure what you not impressed by?
There is a drain channel there with the hole in. If thats the correct model number you posted then its there 100%. As all frost free appliances have a drain channel as thats how it gets rid of the defrost water,
Once you have the back panel off did you see the evapoartor unit?
The drain channel is under there you cannot really miss it.
If you just cannot see it then if you post a picture on here of the back inside the freezer i will mark it on the picture were the drain channel is.
Regards