Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Siemens xl 1600 washing machine (E-Nr. WXL 166AGB /

Customer Question

I have a Siemens xl 1600 washing machine (E-Nr. WXL 166AGB / 09). It is ten years old and has provided great service. However ......
It has started stopping in the rinse cycle - invariably when full of water. If put on to empty when it has stopped, it does not - there is noise from the pump but not as per normal emptying. The fault is intermittent but occurs too often to be ignorable.
If I switch it to a wash cycle it will start as per normal by a quick empty. Once this has triggered I stop the programme and switch to empty and it will empty!
I have opened the cover in front of the pump and nothing appears to be blocking it. I have checked the outlet hose an pipes which were congested with gunk but are now empty.
I would like to repair rather than replace but am conscious of the machines age.
Any suggestions?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

When it stops and you hear the noise from the pump is it a humming noise you can hear?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A quiet hum as distinct from the noisier sound of the pump operating normally.(Please note I shall be out today and thus unable to pick up any response until this evening).Thanks,Chris
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ok this sounds like an intermitten fault on the drain pump. As pumps can play up were 1 minute it wont run so sits there humming and then the next it kicks in and works. Ive seen them fail a lot like this on appliances. As the pumps are magnetic pumps so can go weak so sometimes it wont run. In the end you will find the pump will stop completly in the end.

So replace the pump and this should cure the fault from there.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the diagnosis. The fault is very much intermittent - today whilst I was out, 2 washes without problem, 2 stopped on rinse but were eventually restarted.I will source a new pump and fit it. When done, I will update you.Regards,Chris
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

No worries. Im sure a new pump will sort this out for you.

Regards