Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Frigidaire FV 245 freezer, bought 2004. It has been working fine but after I defr

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire FV 245 freezer, bought 2004. It has been working fine but after I defrosted it the red light comes on, the freezer does not cool, and it clicks at the back every minute or so. The compressor feels to be room temperature. Can you help?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The clicking is the overload on the compressor. The compressor relay has probably failed and will need to be replaced. The relay is mounted on the side of the compressor, usually under a plastic cover. Can you access it and see if it appears to be burnt or broken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the relay looks as if it is inside a black plastic cover about 2" x 2" x 3". See attached photo. Following the instructions etched onto the front of the cover (visible in photo) I pushed a flat-end screwdriver into the aperture in the little box moulded onto the left of the cover and pushed the handle of the screwdriver to the right, hoping to release a catch at the back left of the cover so that I could pull the cover forward and off. However although the back left plate of the cover bowed out to the left there was no click (even when I got the fingernails of my other hand underneath the plate and tried to exert extra force to push it out to the left while keeping pressure on the screwdriver handle), and the cover as a whole would not pull forward. I didn't want to use too much force with the screwdriver for fear of breaking the little box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS I looked on the internet and someone said the cover just 'popped off' when they pushed the screwdriver handle over, but it hasn't happened for me.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It will require a little force to release the locking tab.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK it was a struggle but I got the cover off. Now I can see six wires attached to terminals (and three more attached to terminals at the back and bottom). See photos attached. I don't know which of the things I am seeing is the relay but everything looks quite normal to me - no sign of burning or melting. Should I unscrew the wires from the cables and look harder?BTW there is a screw at the front of the box on the lower right. I took it out but it seems to make no difference to anything.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not familiar with that set up. I am going to place your question back to the list for others to see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Here is a clearer photo of the view from the front, attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiIs there any news?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****On 24 July you said you would 'place my question back to the list for others to see'. The green strip below said that I would get a response within 24 hours. I sent a reminder on 28 July but you did not reply. It is now 30 July. So I assume that UK Appliance is unable to help me with this matter. I would therefore like to ask how I can request a refund of my original payment of £9 on 22 July.YoursAndrew Chitty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****In spite of repeated reminders I have heard nothing from you since 24 July. Unless I hear from you within 24 hours I regret that I will be placing a very negative review of my experience with you, and with UK Appliance Technicians.YoursAndrew Chitty