Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hotpoint wf210 Prewash light flashes part way through was cycle, although this only happe

Customer Question

Hotpoint wf210
Prewash light flashes part way through was cycle, although this only happens on the lower temp washes and appears ok for eg. On fast wash 60deg. The machine also sometimes switches itself on and the on off light and light 1 energy save flashes. So I believe the prewash is indicating a fill error and most prob because the heat relay has an error. Anyway how do I get to the heat relay and what am I looking for?
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now checked the heater element with meter and appears ok, also checked pressure switch blowing in both directions and appears ok, but as said before the machine is left standing with mains power on but switched of at machine, it switches itself on flashing with the energy saving light, and sounds like the pump is then running...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have located the PCB and understand that the heater relay is on the main board, I have not removed the board at this stage as said before the machine will do a full cycle on fast wash 60deg and most pron will on others at higher temperature, anyway meanwhile the machine needs to be switched of at mains to stop it from switching itself on...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi When you get the engery saving light flashing what you need to do is number the lights going down the side of the dispenser with 1 at the top.Let me know which light is flashing as the service manual only tells them us as number 1 to 4 rather then the optiong light name as different models have different opitons. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiAs said in initial message it is light 1 being the energy saving button.
I'm led to beleive this is error code f08 of which i pointed out in initial message is heater relay.
As i had been waiting for well over a day for a response i managed to continue with a process of elimination of which is also mentioned in my initial message addition, so I beleve the PCB is the answer and i can replace with a tested second hand one for about £34... your thoughts...? However as pointed out in initial message the machine also switches itself on, of which might well be a seperate issue... possibly being the control board... your thoughts...?Regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Light 1 is indeed F08 error code. But a faulty heater element can also cause this. Test the heater to earth as if the heater fails to earth it cause the F08 error code as well. As on these theres 2 heater codes F07 and F08.
F07 is when the heater fails and goes open circuit and F08 is the heater relay on the board. But if the heater fails to earth it also causes the F08 so well worth checking the heater to earth first with either a megger/insulation meter or a good mulit meter.
As to replacing the board. You need to make sure its off the same model as they use the same boards on different models and program them up different so it has to be the board of the same model as that will have the correct program on there. Otherwise it will need to be programed up by Hotpoint which is very expensive.
You can try this site as they also sell refurbished boards for you model.
http://www.emwelec.co.uk/
As for the washer switching itself off, Stupid question but have you checked the plug socket and the mains filter on the washer as that can also cause it to switch off.
But if they are both fine then check the front control board. Remove the wiring on there and check for any corrosion on there as sometimes they can corrode and cause faults like switching off.
But if thats all ok then it more then likely the rear control board causing the fault here.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
ps. the machine switches "on" by itself not off
how would i go about testing the mains filter?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok switching itself on then wont be the mains filter or the power supply. This is more then likely the main control board that does this as the front board wont do this as well.
As to testing the mains filter all you need to do is inspect it for any signs of burning on the block.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i test heater to earth...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a meter that should do the job as i tested continuity, but not sure of procedure for testing to earth...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also if the machine will do a full cycle on eg. fast wash 60deg, would this then indicate that the heater element to earth is ok...? however of course it is worth checking and i will attempt to if u can tell me the procedure with the meter...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
To test the heater to earth you need to remove the wires to the heater and then place one probe on the heater tag and the other on the metal part of the heater.
You should not get any reading at all. If you do then its shorting to earth.
But not all multi meters can pick it up. As it can be weak and cause this but a normal meter wont pick it up as you need a megger or insulation test meter to be able to test it proberly.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Process of elimination and clarification:
Heater element checked for continuity reading 30, checked to earth reading 0.
Pressure switch checked blowing in tank direction appears clear and in switch direction click is heard upon blow and release.
Mains filter checked and appears ok.1. Fast wash 30deg part way through wash cycle pre-wash light flashes. (fill error…)
Canceled cycle by holding start button.
Machine now resting with power on and shortly after the energy light flashes thus light 1 (heater relay…)
Cancel won’t work as there is nothing to cancel and power wont switch off, so switch off at mains.
*Shortly after machine power comes on without touching anything and energy light flashes thus light 1 (heater relay…)
Cancel won’t work as there is nothing to cancel and power wont switch off.
Switch off at mains again.
Switch mains on and machine on then without waiting press start with fast wash 60deg, machine runs full cycle with no error.
Machine now resting with power on and after waiting a while no errors appear.
Switch power off at machine and after waiting a while no errors appear.
Switch power of at mains to be safe whist going out.
Upon return switch power on at mains and same error as above *It appears that it is temperature related…
Remember after the 60deg wash the error * did not occur… but at some point later on I think it would as the machine cools down…
So I’m not sure if the 1. pre-wash error is linked with the * error either way it’s pointing at the PCB…?Regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok the filling and the heating are connected by the pressure switch so if theres a faulty pressure switch it can cause this kind of fault. But theres no way of testing the pressure switch as if you use a meter its going to be fine its when it should switch over that fails so there isnt a test you can do other then replace the pressure switch.
What you can try is remove the wires on the heater and tape them up with insulation tape and keep them out the way.
Then retry a wash cycle which wasnt working and see if it goes through. If it does then it will take longer then normal due to the heater being disconnected but if it does work it can be a faulty heater.
But if its still the same then its looking like the control board is the issue. As to be honest 8 out of 10 times its the control board for the F08 error code. So if the pressure switch and heater are fine then its looking like the control board is the issue here.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Disconnected the heater wires and ran fast wash 30deg and although the machine did fill it stopped as before with the pre-wash light flashing...Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Remember the f08 error does not occur when in a cycle this is seperate when the machine is standing...Regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its still flashing the prewash then the fault is still there so that rules the heater out for sure. Its either the pressure switch or the control board at fault here. But nearly always its the control board but have to warn that there is a chance the pressure switch could be faulty. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it runs full cycle on fast wash 60deg would that rule out the pressure switch...?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sorry for the delay. If its working fine on the fast 60 deg wash then yes i would think the pressure switch will be fine otherwise it will do it on all washes. I forgot it works ok on the fast wash. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the PCB and no errors have flashed up. However, going back before the machine developed an error, I recall looking at the machine whilst on a fast wash 30 deg, and it appeared to have very little water, this is also still so. What is the expected water level?
ps. fast 60deg wash fills to just under half drum...
and as said fast 30deg very little, infact the small load i put in had virtually soaked up the available water...
Regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
As to the water level. From what you say this is normal. As very little water enters washing machines now a days.
Also when you use the fast wash this does put less water in there as it heats the water quicker with less water hence the fast wash.
So the water level will be fine as all washers are like this now a days as most of the tme you dont even see the water inside the drum.
Regards