Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My dimplex xt12 series F storage heater has stopped I don't

Customer Question

My dimplex xt12 series F storage heater has stopped I don't know how long for but it is a bit dated. Can this be fixed?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The problem is most likely to be the cut out/thermostat assembly shown at the URL below.
http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xt12/thermostat-cutout.html
However, that part has been discontinued. Do you have a meter to test that part to see if it has failed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I've got a meter but not sure atoll if I can test it probably is that what you said cut out thermostat. So honestly if that was replaced think it would still work?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Probably, if you can find one. There is a replacement shown at that link but I am not familiar with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well see how it's about 50 odd quid for that replacement is it easy to fit and install and how would I know it will fit my heater?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about the replacement part, it is not the original, so the mounting may be different. Typically, the replacement will come with an instruction sheet. I can place your question back to the list in case another has used it before, though. They will post if anyone has experience with it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the replacement your model calls for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well mate if that replacement isn't right then what? There's two dials on my heater, that replacement for a start has one. Do these questions only cost£8
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The original switch shows as no longer available. The replacement appears to be the one that has been made to replace it but I have not installed one. I would recommend phoning the supplier and verify that the replacement is for your model specifically. The model lookup on their site shows it does, but I would probably verify that so it may be returned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right mate good answer so I'll get there contact details from the link right and I know what to do if I need to return it cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the guy John fae the link says something completely different so now what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Naw in fact he says the same thing is that in the image shown the XT9800?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It may not be repairable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I know then?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the thermal cut out cannot be modified to fit, you won't be able fit the replacement. I am not familiar with the replacement so I will place your question back to the list in case another is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I just wait for now then? Will it cost more while I wait then?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No more cost at all. As it stands now, you have only placed a deposit, no funds have been processed to an expert account. Someone will post if they have additional information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that someone will have additional info? Cool right I'll be charged £8 for these questions but true.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not certain, that is not a recent model, so it is hard to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well like you said I don't know why it isn't working that is why I asked u. Because it's been in my home all my days but not worked so I'm curious so what you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I suspect that cut out is open, that is very common. You would need a meter to test with to diagnose with certainty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of meter?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
A multimeter that will test continuity and resistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you go about doing that then?