Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Returned from holiday to find our fridge freezer no longer

Customer Question

Returned from holiday to find our fridge freezer no longer getting cold, we understand there was a storm while away and the computer monitor had blown a fuse....don't know if this is related
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the compressor is running, the refrigerant has probably leaked out. If that is the case, it is not likely related to the storm. However, if the compressor is not running because of an electrical issue, it very well may be related. Is the compressor running? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is Samsung rs21dcns
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Is the compressor running? How about the fan inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engineer been and replaced the compressor, working fine for 24hours now the appliance smells strange, kind of like hot plastic and everything is down - power gone out to it. before the engineer came the display panel was lit and now nothing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like there was an electrical short in the wiring, maybe at the compressor or near the compressor. I would unplug it and inspect the wiring near the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Will maybe suggest that to the engineer if he doesn't consider and electrical fault. The company charge a set fee to repair the appliance, my concern is that they will suggest it is a different problem and charge again. In my mind I think the orginal problem wasn't cured just the symptoms temporarily treated. Would you say that was a reasonable assumption?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I suspect there may have been a burning of the wiring when the compressor was soldered in. You may want to take a look before they come back over so you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engineer has been back and has said it was the new compressor that is faulty, I believe the fuse in the appliance had blown when he changed it the electric tripped....so now awaiting another new compressor....hope this cures it. Will keep you updated and thanks so far.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, you don't see that very often! Thank you for the update.