Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have an Samsung fridge&freezer RL39WBMS. It will

Customer Question

Hello. We have an Samsung fridge&freezer RL39WBMS. It will not start on its own. We have to turn it off and after we turn it on it will start, running for a long time (2-3 hours) and once it stops, it will not turn on on its own unless we repeat the procedure ( turn off and on again...). Thank you, Marcel.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue likely lies with the main electronic control, available below. What part did you replace?
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/fridge-freezer/rl39wbms-rl39wbms1xeu/pcb-control-module/product.pl?pid=964550&path=366173,111066&model_ref=1218286
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the thermostat but nothing happened, and yesterday I pressed the 'ref. temp' and 'fre. temp' buttons at the same time and on the main electronic panel I had FF and Fd plus a persistent beeping. Is this helpful to you? Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You initiated a defrost cycle manually, that is what the display means. What thermostat did you replace? This model uses electronic temperature sensors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kelly. I have replaced the thermostat, yes. It is situated in the lower part of the appliance, in the freezer, behind that plastic..."panel". Actually, I think it was nothing wrong with it but because the fridge/freezer would not start on its own...
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the defrost thermostat, it is just a protective device to keep the heater from staying on too long. Replace that electronic control, that should solve the trouble you are having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,We bought the electronic control and I have just replaced it (10 minutes ago). Let's wait and see. You can be sure you will have a feedback... I have paid £112 on that part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kelly.Last night I replaced the electronic control AS YOU SUGGESTED and guess what ...IT DOES NOT WORK.
Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify, when I said that it doesn't work, I meant that we still have the same problem as before - we need to turn the fridge off and on for it to start running.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That makes no sense because bu shutting it off and restarting it resets the electronics. Since it works fine until the first cycle off, the rest of the input components are working as they should. Is the appliance plugged into a well grounded outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The appliance it's been plugged into the same outlet since we bought it, 2006. Make sense or not, this is the reality. Let me explain again what is wrong. I have replaced the part yesterday evening. I have turned the appliance on straight away. It had run for apx. 10 minutes and than stopped (on its own). We have started celebrating already while we were waiting for the fridge to start running again. So waited...and waited for another 3 hours when we had to turn it off complete (power off) and straight away turn it on. It's started and run for... we do not know how long (we went to bed). In the morning at 7.30 it was not working and I have turned it off/on and of course, it's started again and run until around 1pm, yes, for about 5 hours and stopped. So we had to off/on again...
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what is happening with your refrigerator in that case. I will place it back to the list for others to see in case another has run across this before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, you have just washed your hands... and place it back on the list ??!! What about £11 plus £112 ? Can I PLACE IT back? Any suggestion ?!