Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Rob My washing machine is a Bosch 2801 - it isn't working properly- Ikeep gett

Customer Question

Hi Rob
My washing machine is a Bosch 2801 - it isn't working properly- Ikeep getting code 03 - drain time out or something.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
If the filter is clear and the pump impeller is spinning then theres a blockage in there somewere.
The first thing to check is the drain hose. If it goes under a sink then pull the hose off and check it isn't blocked. Also remove the spigot it pushes onto and check this isn't blocked up as well.
Then retry it and see how it goes. If still the same then you need to access the underneath of the washer and there you will see a black hose going from the bottom of the drum to the pump.
Remove this hose and clear out any debris from in there. Then see how it goes.
As if the pump is running but its not draining then its either the drain hose blocked or the sump hose under the drum blocked. So check them and see how it goes from there.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan -I've checked the hose and it seems ok. Re the black pipe, is this the same pipe I use to drain the washer if it won't drain itself?The other complication is that the problem seems intermittent - i.e. it drained ok this morning and finished its cycle, but at other times won't and flashes 03. Other times it will finish the programme but still be full of water.Is there anything that could cause it to work sometimes and not others?Thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
No the black hose I mean is attached to the bottom of the drum and goes to the pump. That hose you mean is the small drain hose.
You need to access under the washer for this.
But as to it being intermittent then I don't think it will be a blockage as if it was it will do it all the time as if its blocked then usually no water passes through it. So as you say it sometimes works fine then I don't think its a blockage but worth checking anyway.
What you may find then its the drain pump at fault as these can play up like this were one miniute it works and the next it doesn't. In this case the drain pump will need to be replaced and fingers crossed this will cure it.
Regards