Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My oldish Hygena dishwasher has developed a fault and wont

Customer Question

Hi, my oldish Hygena dishwasher has developed a fault and wont cycle. If I set the timer to a programme it runs the pump and doesn't seems to do much else. on another programme it will run the pump and advance the timer then freeze. Occasionally after rotating the timer/programme switch the dishwasher will start and complete a cycle. I'm very competent at repairing just not sure which component is causing the problem.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The intermittent behavior is indicative of the timer failing, especially since it will run a complete cycle on occasion. The timer may not be available, depending on how old the machine is. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

This is what the manufacturers label has three numbers/codes these are as follows: Hygena Type 8.P2.2144211 also APL8224/1 and 87ZBHNGB1.

Regarding the intermittent behaviour, I cannot get it to operate a cycle at all now. Just get various noises (ie pump/drain operation if I manually rotate the timer control) Is there anything else (another component for instance) that could stop the timer from operating as normal. ie float switch solenoid etc etc. I'm just trying to make certain it can't be anything else!! If it is the timer what actually fails on them? is it the motor (I believe the timer has a motor associated with it) and whats the chance of me repairing/servicing this? As I mentioned I'm very experienced/skilled both electrically and mechanically so if it's fixable I'm capable! Hope this info helps to decide whether its a scrap or not! Thanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Since all functions work if the timer is moved manually, the timer motor is likely faulty. The timer motor is what moves the timer throughout the various cycles. The timer is showing as obsolete, see the link below.

CLICK HERE

Brandt APL8224 Obsolete Timer