Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I've been trying to get the pump cover off a hot point

Customer Question

Hi - I've been trying to get the pump cover off a hot point tcm580 dryer, following your pictures but I still can't get the cover off. Can you help? Ultimately I'm trying to fix a problem where the 'empty water' light stays on even when the dryer has been emptied.
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - is there any chance of an answer today? I need to be able to at least try and fix this tonight, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a new dryer. Thanks...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Sorry for the delay in getting to you question, Do you still need help on this?
If so then is it the pump chamber you are looking at removing?
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - yes I'm trying to get the cover off for the pump chamber. Once I've done that then I'm going to try and clear out any muck. Ultimately I'm trying to get the dryer's 'empty water' light to switch off. I have already cleared the condenser and reached into the hole behind the condenser to try and clear it. All help appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok to remove the pump cover you need a big flat bladed screwdriver.
Look on the back panel in the bottom corner and you will see the white or grey pump box.
Look on the top of this and you will see 2 tabs were its clipped into the back panel.
Insert the screwdriver in between the pump chamber and the back panel next to each tab and pull down and it will release the tap from the back panel.
Do the same next to the other tab. Don't worry if one tab breaks as the odd time this can happen and theres nothing you can really do to stop it. But you can still refit it back in there.
Then release it from the plastic base and then you can lift it up out from there and clean it out from in there.
Try that and you should be able to remove it from there.
Let me know how it goes.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right have got the cover off with no breakage! Now I'm looking at a little wired pump. I'm assuming that needs to come out/off so I can clean up underneath?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Look at the plastic base either side and you will see tabs there holding the top section on.
Use a screwdriver again and prise them off either side and then you can lift it out. Just remove the two hoses first.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool, I have that off now and have cleared out the gunk. There is a rocker switch with a polystyrene float which is I'm guessing what controls whether the light goes on. All that is cleaned up, running it now, no light and it is heating up fine. But, it is now making a funny noise, like trying to drink through a straw when there's not enough drink in your glass. Will this go away as the bottom reservoir fills up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or it could be a high speed rattling noise, coming from what I assume is the pump motor?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Glad to hear that's sorted it. As to the noise you hear from the pump that's because you have cleaned it out and removed all the water so it does go noisy.
But when you use it and it starts to collect water in there then that noise will go away then and you wont hear it that loud.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm afraid that the 'empty water' light is still coming on and the load of washing that I put through the dryer has not dried. I left it running overnight so I'm not sure how long it went before the light came on. I'm going to have a look tonight to see if the reservoir at the bottom is full - if it is, then that suggests to me that the pump isn't doing its job. Is there anything else I can try to fix it?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok if that light is coming on again then the pump isn't working and pumping the water to the bottle at the top.
Remove the pump chamber again and see if its full of water. If that light is on then it will be.
What you will need to do from there is replace the pump unit and that should cure the fault from there.
Regards