Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My fridge is not working but the freezer is fine. Its a Samsung

Customer Question

My fridge is not working but the freezer is fine. Its a Samsung RL40scsw fridge freezer. What checks can I make to source the problem
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
If the fridge isn't working but the freezer is then the fault will be inside the freezer. As on this the all the cooling is done inside the freezer and a fan blows the cold air into the fridge section.
What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel in there.
Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is covered with ice you need to use a hairdryer and fully defrost it from there. As the ice will be blocking the air flow up to the fridge.
Once defrosted you will find the fridge will be back to normal after an hour or so.
Or if you don't want to go removing panels then you need to empty the freezer and turn the appliance off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open. This will defrost it from there and again cure the fault.
Try the above and see how it goes. But from the fault you describe it will be a blocked evaporator with ice causing this so a defrost will cure it.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Regards