Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My caple DI 414 dishwasher won't start the wash cycle. It

Customer Question

My caple DI 414 dishwasher won't start the wash cycle. It fills, heats up, but then doesn't start to wash.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Once its filled with water if you listen very carefully at the bottom do you hear a slight humming noise from it?
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - kind of a low level hum/gurgle (but not watery) noise!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually - it isn't that low level - clearly audible - almost a metallic trickling sound
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Ok this will be down to the wash motor or the capacitor for the motor. As the motor isn't running so that's what the humming noise is and why its not washing.
What you need to do is pull the appliance out and remove the side panels and you will see the wash motor. bolted to the motor is the capacitor. Its either a white or silver cylinder with a few wires on there.
You can try and replace this first and see if it gets it going. If not then im afraid the wash motor will be the fault and will need to be replaced to cure this. But its a case of fitting the capacitor first to see which it is.
So try the above and see what happen but the fault will be either the capacitor or the wash motor on this.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - noting that this won't happen quickly! Might now need to get someone in to fix it, as I am away for a number of days and won't be able to get at it
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine. Try it when you can and see what you find.
Regards