Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a hotpoint rzav21 freezer just fitted new thermostat

Customer Question

I have a hotpoint rzav21 freezer just fitted new thermostat and plugged in freezer immediately started defrosting.rechecked all connections now find it turns on for about 7 seconds then turns off ,then eventually it turns back on again and so on !! is the thermostat faulty ?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
When you said freezer comes on around 7 seconds then goes off again, are you talking about the whole freezer unit with lights and fan? Or a black steel ball at the back of the unit that is shutting off after 7 seconds?
This is what we call the compressor. This is the part that would normally comes on and then shuts off after 7 seconds.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Francis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor comes on for about 7 seconds then switches off also it is warm !.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again the compressor seems to be working although warm and when on it vibrates very slightly ,hope this info is useful .
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for those info.
I am afraid the compressor can't start .
It could be two things. First is the starting components at the side of the compressor. if these are bad, then the compressor can't start.
The next thing would be the compressor itself. If , after replacing the starting components and the compressor still won't start, then the compressor is bad.
Are you confident if you can replace the starting component of the compressor? It would be located at the side of the compressor where the wires are connected.
If you would be willing to replace it, unplug the unit, remove the plastic cover of the starting components, remember the wires where you will remove them, and remove the starting components.
Bring them to an HVAC retailer and replace them.
They should be a common parts that would be available locally in an HVAC supplier.
Let me know what happens next.
Thanks,
Francis