Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have two problems with my Whirlpool American fridge freezer

Customer Question

I have two problems with my Whirlpool American fridge freezer which is about 8 years old. The ice maker has not been working for about one year and the second problem is a loud knocking noise about every hour for about 10 secs around the ice making area.
Thank you
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.
Can you post the model number please. Its usually on a sticker inside the fridge behind the salad box at the bottom on the right hand side.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,The model number is *****Thank you,
Christine
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thanks for that. If you look at the ice maker unit at the top you will see a metal bar there. Lift this up so it locks up and leave it as this will turn the ice maker off.
Then monitor it and see how it goes and see if it stops making the noise. If it does then the ice maker unit is the issue here and will need to be replaced.
As what can happen is the cogs inside it break so it stops it from turning and can cause the noise.
But another thing that can cause it is the ice maker fingers get stuck under the flap and this jams it up. If this is the case release it and try and move the flap out of the way to allow it to turn. You will see what I mean when you look at it.
But if lifting the bar up stops the noise then the fault is on the ice maker unit which will also be why its not making ice. So you will need to remove it and see if its jammed up but if not then it will need to be replaced here.
Regards