Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Bosch Loggix umbel dryer, WTS86516GB/03 FD8607200299.

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Bosch Loggix umbel dryer, WTS86516GB/03 FD8607200299. I dry all my stuff on either very dry on the synthetics Sid of the dial and extra dry for cottons. However the machine never dries for the time that it suggests, finishing and beeping at me well before the time, and way before its dried the clothes. I live on my own and don't fill the big drum too full as I have a normal sized washing machine, also Bosch. I am disabled and to have constantly have to keep putting it back on several times until I feel that the washing is dry is exhausting and annoying. Is this n it supposed to be an intelligent sensor dryer after all? Please help.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.
Copy and paste the URL below for a detailed picture.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/qqkltdh3provvui/ScreenHunter_1163_May._05_14.41.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Kelly, thank you for your advice, but those strips are totally clean and shiny so that's not the problem. Could it be anything else?