Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Miele Frost Free Fridge Freezer, The temperature

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Miele Frost Free Fridge Freezer, The temperature of the fridge is showing 20Degrees and the freezer is showin _ _. I've trided to adjust the temerature but nothing seems to work.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you post the model number please. Also can you hear the compressor at the back running?Has the freezer fully defrosted? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is ***** KFN 14 923 sd. I switched the power backon and I can hear the compressor at the back running. the freezer is fully defrosted.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for that. If you open the fridge and press against the back wall see if this feels spongy. Feel it all over and press against it and see if it feels spongy and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel. Are you talking about the back wall pressed from inside the fridge? If yes, the NO it does not feel spongy.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's it. Sometimes the back wall on these blow out an when this happens its game over for the appliance as that cannot be fixed. But as yours hasn't done it then it can still be repaired. But as the compressor is running but theres no cooling in there then its a system fault. Either its short of gas in there or a poor pumping compressor. But for either of these you need to get a fridge engineer in as this isn't a diy repair. As the fridge engineer will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back and see what pressure the compressor is pumping at and the level of gas I there. But as this a specialist job you may be best giving Miele a ring as they do a policy for appliances that's already faulty. It includes the callout parts and labour and covers you for 12 months. Its about £200 roughly from what I remember but this will be cheaper then getting a local fridge engineer in so that's the better option for a fault like this. Sorry its not good news but If you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this. Not what I wanted to hear. Just to let you know - I looked at the back of the unit and at the bottom, just above the motor, I can see water (yellowish) contained inside a white plastic container. This this normal or do I need to drain this out - if so, how?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That water you see is normal. As that's were the defrost water drains to.The heat from the compressor when working correctly will evaporate the water away so that's something you don't need to do as it does it all itself when working normal. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So the fact that I can see the water, does that mean that the compressor is not working well enough to evaporate the water away?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Yeap as when its working normal the compressor is warm and that's what evaporates it away.Plus as its defrosted the ice from the freezer will have melted and gone into there as there will have been more water then normal.