Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a belling bi60f cooker and it has stopped working

Customer Question

Hi I have a belling bi60f cooker and it has stopped working altogether, no power at all. This happened after the power had tripped. Do you have any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

Have you got access to the plug for the oven and checked that fuse have you?

Was the oven on when the power went off?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just checked the fuse and it had blown. I have now put in 3 fuses and they have all blown and tripped the power.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ok theres a fault in there causing the fuse to blow. But just want to check it is a 13 amp fuse you have put in?

If so then you need to pull the oven out and remove the back panel. There you will see the wires going to the elements.

If you have a multi meter you need to test the elements to earth and see which one is the problem and replace that element.

But if you dont have a multi meter then you need to disconnect the wires to the elements and tape them up and replace the fuse and plug in and see if it doesnt blow the fuse. That part may take a bit of time so if you have a multi meter thats the easyer option.

But for the fault you describe its usually either the grill element or the fan element so check them and see what you find and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I have tested the elements and on the grill element I get an ohms reading of 30.5 and on the fan oven element I get an ohms reading of 27.7. I have replaced the grill element as I incorrectly thought it wasn't working, but I am still having the same problem. Do you have any other ideas? By the way I removed the elements from the cooker to test rather than doing them Connected. And yes I used a 13amp fuse. Thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

When you tested the elements and got the reading of 30 Ohms you have only tested the resistance of it not to see if the heater is down to earth. As the heater can still work but its insulation goes to earth and thats what causes the fuse to blow,

So you need to test the heater to earth. So place one meter probe on one of the heater tags and the other to the earth tag and see if theres a reading there. For a good element there should be a 0 reading. If you get a reading then its shorting to earth and that will cause it to blow the fuse.

So test them to earth and see what reading you get and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I have tested them both and I do not get any readings by testing The heater to earth. Any other ideas? Thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if its not the heater then you need to check all the wires as sometime in there is shorting out calling the fuse to blow like that.

Also is it blowing the fuse as soon as you turn the oven on?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It blows the fuse as soon as I put the power back on. Before I've even turned the cooker itself on.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok just remove all the wires to the heater and tape them up and then retry it and see if it stops the tripping. If it does then we know its a heater thats casuing it.

As for this kind of fault its usually either one of the heaters or a trapped wire shorting out against the cabinet.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I don't have any electrical tape so I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

No worries thats fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I have checked the elements how you said and They are working fine. I took the back cover off my cooker and found that there was alot of dark soot near the bulb holder. The bulb looks in a bad state and I removed the bulb holder to test it and there is no ohms reading between the two spade connectors at all. Do you think this could be my problem? Thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If you have removed the bulb and then try and test the circuit of the bulb holder then you wont get a reading as the bulb has been removed.

I have seen bulb holders in the past cause this kind of fault so what you can try is remove the wires to it and tape them up and retry the oven and see if it stops the tripping from there and let me know.

Regards