Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I also have an AEG electrolux ARCTIS stand up freezer about

I also have an AEG electrolux ARCTIS stand up freezer about 3 years old. the +/- button is working but the temperature stays at 9 degrees instead of -24 degrees. When I click on the - button it blinks at -24 but goes back to 9 degrees when I let it go. I just had to throw some food into the bin because they had gone off! Please I need your help cheers.. Michael

I emptied the freezer but the temperature keeps dropping, its on 11 now (+11)...

Drcool :

Hello, Sorry to hear your problem. Can you know if the compressor at the back is running? Vibrating hot to touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle ) The compressor is the black steel ball at the back of the unit.

Drcool :

If the compressor is running, do you notice frost building up inside the freezer back wall? If you do, then give it a good 24 hour defrost by unplugging it, leave the door open, remove all food left inside the freezer and transfer them to another unit ( if you have one ).

Drcool :

After 24 hours, plug it back, close the door and let me know what happens.

Customer:

Hello DrCool

Customer:

I turned it off yesterday evening around 5 pm

Customer:

i dont have another unit so i put them in the fridge

Customer:

i'll let you know when I have plugged it back...

Drcool :

ok. Thank you very much.

Customer:

I have plugged it back now and the temperature is dropping gradually, I've set it to -24 i hope it drops that low and stays that way....

Customer:

Can u please tell me what u think caused the whole situation...

Customer:

?

Drcool :

Hello, Sorry for the delay. Usually, this is caused by a build up of ice inside the evaporator area. As frost builds up, it would block the passage of air that would bring cold air to the food area, hence you would have 9 C in the food area because you only have 0 C in the evaporator coil.

Drcool :

The unis is supposed to be frost less. So if frost is accumulating, you might have a problem with defrosting.

Drcool :

It could be three things or any one of them.

Drcool :

Or, it could also be just too much frost. The room got too much humidity, or the door could have been left ajar a little bit, or the drain hole could be clogged up that is why it can not let out the water that has melted and would become a big chunk of ice later on.

Drcool :

observe it for a week and see how it goes.

Drcool :

if the problem would return, we can continue trouble shooting it.

Customer:

Thank you very much DrCool

Customer:

So far it is working well and has been at -24 degrees for about 2 days now...

Customer:

I'll give it a week as you have adviced and we'll see how it goes... I'll also rate your service during that period but so far your service is good..

Drcool :

That is good to hear. Hopefully, it is not a defrost issue.

Customer:

Thank you for your help dr cool

Customer:

everything seems ok now

Customer:

Its working perfectly now and I'll rate your service bellow...