Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

My larder fridge Hot Point RLA 84 P is freezing the contents The

My larder fridge Hot Point RLA 84 P is freezing the contents The thermostat is not switching off. I have replaced the thermostat, that did not help. I have called a technician and he suggested that I buy a new fridge. The fridge is 7 years old I feel that it should last longer then 7 years What else can I try? XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX.

Drcool :

Hello, When you replaced the thermostat, did you insert the sensor to the hole where you pulled the thermostat out completely, I mean all the way inside?

Drcool :

If you did, then the tube inside the fridge could have come off the evaporator coil that is why the thermostat is no longer feeling the coldness of the tubes. This would explain why the new thermostat would still not cut off the compressor.

Drcool :

What I can suggest, if you still want to use the unit, buy an external thermostat that would control the power supply of your unit.

Drcool :

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-refrigerator-thermostat.html

Drcool :

http://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller/dp/B000EXROSE

Drcool :

This would control the power where you plug your unit and eventually, would control the coldness of the compressor. Just hook up the sensing bulb of the unit to your freezing coil to sense the coldness of the freezing coil. Just be very careful mounting the sensing bulb since the tube is very small and very thin.

Drcool :

Let me know what you think of my idea.

JACUSTOMER-jn3zp4vj- :

Where is the freezing coil?

JACUSTOMER-jn3zp4vj- :

The cooling plate of the refrigerator is inside the fridge. Do I need to strip the insulation on the back of the refrigerator to get to the freezing coil?

Drcool :

Hello, yes, the cooling coil is inside the fridge back wall. That would be the solution, to strip the insulation. But you may not be able to bring back the insulation back as well as the piece that you will strip out that is why we do not go to that direction. The unit would not look nice after the job.

Drcool :

If you go to my other option, ( the external controllers), just place the sensing bulb to the fridge part where you see frost accumulating. It can sense the coldness there with out the hassle of stripping down the insulation. No need to place the sensing bulb to the cooling plate .

Drcool :

On my first comment that that would be the solution, to strip down the insulation, that would be , if you want to trace where the tube of the original thermostat is inserted. I am thinking, the tube could have gotten loose in contact with the cold plate that is why the thermostat can not sense the coldness of the cold plate anymore so if you want to look at the tube, then you would have to strip down the insulation and trace where the tube is attached.