Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

Black tar-like stuff is melting on top of the compressor on

Black tar-like stuff is melting on top of the compressor on my Samsung RS21ddsv side-by-side refrigerator. Seems to come from a small copper tube-like expansion of the copper pipe passing by just above the compressor.
What is this and should I worry??

Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

Theres nothing to worry about that.

All this is is an anti vibration pad. They wrap it around the pipe work to take the vibration out of it when the compressor is pumping the gas around the system. But over time with the heat the compressor produces it starts to melt and looks a bit of a mes.

But don't worry about it nearly all fridges do this that have the vibration pad on them. It wont cause any problem to the appliance at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks alt. Seems logical. Do You happen to know if it is possible to attach water pressure to water inlet on the fridge without having the water filter in place? It is a Samsung side by side type with icecube machine. Model type RS21DDSV.

Will the water then just flust info the fridge tru the filter holder (There is a lid on this but not tight and no washer).

I don't know type of water filter and where to get.

Yeap you can run these without a filter. They usually use an external filter so the fill hose goes from the water supply through the filter and in to the fridge. So if you don't have a filter you can just run the water pipe from the supply straight into the appliance itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great! In Norway our tapwater is pure and 100% clean. Do I really then need a filter, internal or external?
We never filter our water for any other use.

If your water is clear and pure then no you don't need a filter. A filter is only used in lime scaled areas like what we have in parts of the UK.