Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi Mike, I am just reading your answers on an old question

Hi Mike, I am just reading your answers on an old question about a hotpoint WDL540. Mine seems to have the same problem. The lights along the bottom are flashing and counting up from the bottom, lights 1,3 and 4 are on solid. I have changed the element as it looked damaged, I have checked as many things as I can think of for continuity, and the PCB looks ok. It starts flashing ONLY about 5-10 mins into a drying cycle and I have to turn off the mains to reset the machine. No probs at all on any washing cycles. If I take the top off when it fails, there is a lot more heat than I would expect from the air blower (The bit with the element in, not sure of the actual name of it) Is that normal on this model. My next guess would be the thermostat but I thought I would ask an expert first. Thanks, Neil.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll be helping you today I've been repairing white goods for 20+ yrs. and currently work for a well-know manufacturer.

Have you checked the condenser vent to see if that's all blocked?

If not then remove the metal dryer chamber on the top and under there you will see a mesh filter going into the drum.

Give this a good clean out then refit the chamber and retry it on a dryer cycle and see how it goes from there.

Also have you checked the water valve coils as well?

As the dryer needs water to aid the drying so if the coil is open circuit it can cause it to cut out.

So check the resistance on the coils on the valve. They should read about 3.6 Kohms. If any are faulty then the water valve will need to be replaced.

Check them out and see what you find and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The filter sounded the easiest so i have just tried that. It is running now, Ill let you know.

I haven't got a clue what the water valve coils are. The coil on the motor on top of the element chamber has continuity and a resistance of only 51 Ohms. I guess that's not what you were talking about.

Thanks again,

Ill let you know how this goes soon.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

The water valve coils is on the water valve. If you look at the back were the fill hose goes to the washer this is the water valve. I think there should be 3 coils on there each with a wiring block going to it.

But as you have cleaned the mesh filter in the dryer chamber just see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed that will cure it.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,

So far so good. It has just done half a drying cycle, which is more than it used to. I have stopped it and we have put a normal load of washing in to dry. Hopefully it was just the filter, although the element seemed to have warped and split, that's why I changed it first. If the air is not circulating, does the element overheat? this could have damaged the element and caused it to cut out when drying I guess???

Anyway, Thanks for your help. Probably a really easy fix for you, but you have saved me a lot of messing about.

Thanks mate.

Neil H
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If the filter was blocked then yes it stops the air flow and can cause the element to over heat and burn out just like it has.

Hopefully this will be fine now but if not just get back to me.

Regards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.