Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Bosch HBC84K5.1B oven/microwave. The oven works but

I have a Bosch HBC84K5.1B oven/microwave. The oven works but the microwave switches off after about two seconds when I try to use it - light comes on and it makes the usual noise but then it all goes off.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If the display is resetting, the seal around the magnetron antenna is bad and the magnetron will need to be replaced. Does the display reset or what exactly happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly...symptoms are - I select say 1 minute on the microwave any power setting. The microwave starts for 2 seconds then switches off and reverts the clock display. I dont know what the magnetron antenna is but would like to understand whether this is worth repairing - i.e should I junk this oven or get someone to replace the seal..some indicative costs would be appreciated..

Well, the magnetron is what does the cooking. It emits a radio signal that makes the molecules in the food speed up to create heat. The radio signal is very directional and the seal around the antenna the signal travels out of is very important to keep the signal harnessed and in the correct areas. If that seal is compromised, that radio signal can interfere with the electronic operation of the main control, which I suspect is happening. This repair is not something you would want to undertake, given the very high voltages present, which could be lethal. This repair will run about 125-150 BPS.