Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hello. I have a Hoover DYN8164D washing machine. It was working

Hello. I have a Hoover DYN8164D washing machine. It was working OK but then the lock symbol kept continuous blinking and it won't start. I had a guy out and he replaced the interlock. Still the same problem. He didn't fancy looking at the board as he is retired and only knows about older machines. I'm braver. I took the board out and found that 2 solder-covered tracks were burnt out. I bridged them with solder, tested continuity, and put it back together but still the same problem. I took the board out again to see if there was any new sign of burning but it looks OK. Any ideas?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Bridging the burnt traces is not enough, the board will need to be replaced. Those traces were burnt because of shorted components and excessive current draw. The board will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

Would the original fault that caused the excess current be confined to that board or could it be somewhere else, e.g. motor?

If I fit a new Prog Mod board, might there be a risk that it would fry?

Usually, the fault lies with the board, but there is a slim chance of the new board being damaged. You could test the heater and motor for a short to ground but I doubt either will show faulty.