Solarman1947
Solarman1947, Heating Engineer
Experience:  Mainly on Gas Heating but there are Fires and Cookers coming up in this category
15546140

our central heating won,t work. thermostat turned up but rads

our central heating won,t work. thermostat turned up but rads not getting hot
Hi Rick here UK plumber and heating engineer, can you give me the boiler make and model and also what sort of room thermostat do you have wired or wireless, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Boiler is a Baxi Solo 12HE. Wireless siemens room stat RDH1ORF.

OK this is a system boiler so you have a hot water cylinder, usually near the cylinder are the pump and motor valves, can you tell me if you have one three port valve or two 2 port valves, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have one 3 port valve

OK it is likely that the motor in this valve has failed, or it could be seized,at rest it is in the hot water position and needs power to open it for CH, now it is also possible that your wireless room stat is malfunctioning, do you have a meter to test for mains power? Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have a meter. Can you tell me what to do next please

do not know what make of valve you have but generally it is the white wire of the five to the valve, if you have 240v power here then the motor has failed or the valve is seized, if the head is hot then chances are it is seized and removal of the head and turning the spindle gently may free it, be care full it only goes less than 90 degrees, if however there is no power to the white wire then you room thermostat is faulty, (possibly new batteries needed in the unit) or re setting as per the instructions, Rick