Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I purchased a KUPPERSBUSCH microspeedplus microwave/oven in

I purchased a KUPPERSBUSCH microspeedplus microwave/oven in 2009. Since then, the glass cover in the roof of the oven has cracked three times and seems to occur whenever I use the grill facility. I am now out of warranty. it was last replaced on 30th January 2012 and I have been quoted £98.00 to replace it. Have you any idea as to why it keeps breaking. The engineer is simply not interested in the cause of the problem other than simply replacing the glass cover
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The cause is the direct heat above it. Under heavy use, it is common for them to break. There is little you can do but replace it. I agree that this is not how it should be, but you must do a lot of cooking using the speed cook function.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. The reality is that I VERY rarely use it as an oven or grill. I mostly use it for microwaving only. Could the microwave antenna be faulty and, if so, what I can do about it ?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
The magnetron antenna is not likely causing just the glass breakage, no. It is possible that you are microwaving low moisture foods, especially popcorn, frequently. This can have that effect.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK - have never used popcorn in this microwave. But my original query referred to specifically the fact that the glass seemed to go NOT when I was microwaving but when I had used the grill facility. Even though I have only rarely used the grill facility - in a sequence of no more than five days in a row to cook bacon, it has blown.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
There is no way to know for certain why it is breaking. I have posted the most likely reasons but to know for certain is impossible. Make sure the glass is mounted squarely and not with pressure from the mounting tabs and you will have done all you can do.