Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.

Hi, my hotpoint Aquarius wmf540 has developed a fault. When

Hi, my hotpoint Aquarius wmf540 has developed a fault. When the machine is loaded, cycle selected and switched on it starts to bleep and display H2O on the display. The water supply is on and it is taking water but it just seems to take it and pump it straight out again! This happens regardless of program selected. Any ideas?? Thanks
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Can you tell me how the waste hose is connected to the house plumbing?

Also, when the water is running through, are you saying it is filling and emptying at the same time?
Lastly, when this is happening, do you hear the drain pump running, or just the water running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob the waste is run into a standard waste pipe available in any diy store with a u bend and out into the grid. The drainage pump does not run when the water is flowing through. The washing in the machine gets wet but it does not fill. The detergent gets washed away.

Hi David

If the machine is filling and emptying at the same time (without the drain pump running), its siphoning.
This is because the drain hose is too low.

Even though it may have been like this for some time, over time the hose may have slipped down.

You need to loop the hose over so as to create an air break so as to stop the siphoning.
Ideally the loop should be as high as the top of the machine.

If you need more help, please just ask

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email