Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

Good morning, I have a Hot Point FFA90P Fridge Freezer, around

Good morning,
I have a Hot Point FFA90P Fridge Freezer, around a week ago the temperature began to climb.

Whilst we were away last weekend I unplugged, and fully defrosted the unit. Upon plugging it back in the temperature now appears fairly consistent with room temp..however it does not seem keen to drop to a more appropriate temperature..

When doing the Diagnostic (Door open, FF held, door closed...door opened) It looks as though I can prove that the Fan is working, as is the heater near the bottom.

What further steps can I take to help isolate the problem?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 11 months ago.

Hiya,

At the bottom rear is the compressor, a black pot shaped item.

Is this running?

If it is, is it very hot?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Afternoon Fred,

Yes it is running, and yes it is very hot.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

Not good news I'm afraid.

The compressor being hot is normally a restriction in the foamed in pipework.

The refrigerant isn't being pumped around the system so there's little, or no, cooling taking place.

It's not a diy repair and there is a chance that it cannot be repaired.

You need a refrigeration engineer to attach pumps and gauges to the compressor pipework to determine if it's blocked/restricted or, if it has a leak.

(no refrigerant can give similar fault).

Sorry, I wish there was an easy, inexpensive fix.

If it can be repaired, the bill could be over £200 for a compressor and regas, or as little as £80 for a regas (all depends on your engineers labour rate).

You could try Hotpoint to see if they have a fixed price repair plan for it.

They normally start around £120 and give different guarantees.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.