Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Maytag Admiral washing machine. It washes OK, but

I have a Maytag Admiral washing machine. It washes OK, but when it has to pump out and spin, it spins but does not pump out. With the front off it appears that the motor continues to turn the same way as for the washing action instead of reversing. This causes a strong burning smell and heating of the casing. If the lid is opened at that point and closed again, or the main control knob pushed in and pulled out again, the motor stops and starts again in the correct direction.
Is there some fault that stops it reversing to pump out when a full cycle is used?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The timer is not likely pausing to allow the motor to change directions and is energizing both windings. I suspect the timer will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I notice that there is a relay that changes over the connection to the motor to reverse its direction. Could that relay be faulty and sticking, so that the motor remains rotating in the wrong direction? Cutting off the power by raising the lid and lowering it again might allow the relay to change over?

Well, there is a spot in the timer that is designed to stop running and then start again to turn in the opposite direction. Since the machine will operate correctly when the lid is lifted, I suspect the timer is skipping this pause, due to welded contacts.