Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Hi, I have a hotpoint wmd940 ultimate which washes but just

Hi, I have a hotpoint wmd940 ultimate which washes but just lugs around on the spin cycle,clothes are still soaked at end. I have checked pipes,all clear and water drains away, just not spinning properly. I took off the back and the belt looks fine. I was told it could be the motor brushes but couldn't find them on this model. Any ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If the washer is draining well but not spinning, the issue likely lies with the pressure switch. If the pressure switch cannot "see" that the water has drained, it will not allow the machine to spin at high speed. Remove the top cover from the machine and set it aside. The pressure switch will be mounted at the top of the machine and will have a very small hose attached to it. Remove that hose and blow through it (the hose). Does air easily pass?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes air is passing easily. I am running a spin program at present and the odd noise appears to be coming from the front section of the drum. The belt is running smoothly but not fast.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If you open the door and lift up on the inner tub that spins, does it move up and down?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no, it is fairly rigid

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Does it spin easily in both directions with little noise?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes moves fine, no noise. I have tried setting it off on a wash empty and it seemed ok but when i paused it and put a small item in to check it spun properly it started making a strange noise in the bottom, possibly bottom right of the machine, not quite a grating sound or a vibrating sound, not sure what it is. I have thoroughly checked the filter again, it is all clear.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If you remove that filter, can you access the small hole with your finger to see if the pump impeller is loose?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not sure where this is, i can feel into the space of the tube that leads to the bottom of the drum, which I have already checked so see if clear. I can also feel a rotor type item at the back of the filter which i assume leads to the water extraction pump.there is no debris there, it turns 90 degrees when pushed each time. What does the pump impeller look like?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
That is the impeller you are feeling. Does it look off center if you shine a torch in there for a close look?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it looks dead center. the rotor bit does have some movement, forward and back, should it be tighter?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
It should not be moving forward much as it may be hitting the pump housing, causing the noise. Any scratch marks on it that you can see?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no obvious scratch marks, all looks smooth

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Well, I suspect the impeller may be "free wheeling" on the motor shaft under a load and is what is causing the noise. There really is nothing else down in that area to make noise. I would recommend replacing the pump.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks for your help Kelly, now i think on it it is noisier than it used to be when pumping out, i'll check out cost of replacing pump, thanks again

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome, thank you!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!