Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.

why does my insinkerator 45 not flush through my external grate

why does my insinkerator 45 not flush through my external grate but cloggs my drain?
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isnt clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

If the grate over the drain is made of plastic, the normal remedy for this is to cut a hole in the grid and extend the waste pipe through it.

This way, you do not have large items like leaves etc, being blown down the grate.

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the grate is an old iron grating that is cemented in. does your reply mean larger food debris can be washed down gutter without blocking drains pipe leaving property as we have had issues with blockages caused by cooking fat and washing powder congealing.

The waste disposal should cut up the vegetable matter small enough for it to be washed away with the water.

Fat and washing powder tens to get washed part away, then unfortunately, tends to solidify causing problems.

If the grate is a standard size, you should be able to remove it and replace it with a plastic one which will be easier to cut