Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Have been working on all major appliances for 25 years

I have an upright fridge freezer . The fridge does not cool,

I have an upright fridge freezer . The fridge does not cool, well it does a bit if I press the fast freeze button. The freezer seems ok.
What are the common problems for this type of fault?

Thank you for your assistance.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The likely problem here if you see frost on the rear panel inside the freezer is that the defrost system has failed, You would need to test the defrost heater with a ohm meter, If it reads open it's bad and will need to be replaced. If the heater is good then the defrost thermostat/sensor will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I may have confused things here. There is a fridge on the top half and a freezer on the bottom. Freezer is fine. The Fridge does not cool unless the fast chill/freeze button is pushed, and then it only slightly chills. I don't know if there are separate pumps/systems for fridge and freezer. I would just like some idea what to check for if I pull it out of the inbuilt kitchen.

Thank you for your assistance.

Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.
Hello, The fridge is just a box that has cold air blown into it from the freezer, The freezer may appear to work but would be the cause of any problems with the fridge.

The problem will either relate to the freezer not defrosting correctly or the evaporator fan not blowing in the freezer. Remove the rear panel on the rear inside the freezer, make sure the evaporator fan is blowing, also make sure the duct running to the fridge from the freezer is clear in addition to checking the defrost system from my last post :0

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Have been working on all major appliances for 25 years
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,