Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Daewoo fridge freezer FRS2031IAL - not making ice

Hi, The Ice lock button on my Daewoo FRS2031IAL is permanently illuminated, no new ice for a week and there is no way to"unlock" it. The "Water/ice cube/crushed " button has no effect and their icons are not displaying. The chilled water working fine. Also, for the previous week, the freezer temperature indicator would cycle, accompanied by the singing tones. Actual temp of freezer appears fine. Resetting the circuit board on top has no effect. I am quite a competent layman, but this has stumped me. Ideas please?

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Your touch panel may be experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for that. I tried, it got very hot, as did my fingers, but to no avail,shame. Is there a further diagnostic step? I've also reset the main board on top (button next to test pot, again nothing).

I assume I will have to change the control panel as a next step, but how do I access it? Is it from in front by destroying(?) the fascia, or from behind by removing the main freezer seal and storage bin moulding? I'm game for most things! Thanks in anticipation. Regards Mike

Was there any change at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely none, and I was doing it for about 10 minutes

I believe that main PCB Module will need to be replaced and is available below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a specific reason for that PCB rather than the controller panel one?

The control panel is just a low voltage switching board. If it was faulty, the heat would have changed something.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much, I'll get on to it. Do I rate now or after it's fixed?

That is up to you, either way you can return to ask as many questions as you like until it is fixed!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly,

Sorry to get back to you ...

Replacement PCB has arrived, fitted and fault exactly as previously reported. I will arrange return of the PCB.

Any further ideas?

I am very surprised that did not remedy the issue. The only thing left is the panel for the user interface. It is very odd that it would fail in this manner, though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that. As I mentioned above, how exactly do I access/replace it?

Under the front escutcheon, there should be a couple of small tabs that allow the insertion of a screwdriver to pop the front cover off. There may be a couple screws behind the water tray at the bottom of the dispenser, too.