Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hi. Got a Hotpoint Future frost free fridge freezer. I only

Customer Question

Hi. Got a Hotpoint Future frost free fridge freezer. I only bought it two days ago (second hand) and it was working fine till today. At first we noticed red (high temperature) light to go on, then It temperatures inside raised. The compressor seems to work fine, fan in the freezer also (I took the air vents off to see it - it does spin for a second until the red light turns on and the fan turns off then). I thought - a loss of the gas, but then - I can clearly hear the liquid in the pipes bubbling when it's on, but it just does not get cold. The radiator at the back of the fridge is not getting warm, even though compressor and one of it's pipes does get pretty warm. Tried to be precise with the symptoms. Any Ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I suspect there is a restriction in the cooling system. This can occur when the appliance gets laid down and the oil in the compressor gets into the coolant lines. If the compressor is then started before the oil can migrate back down into the compressor where it should be, the oil is sent throughout the coolant lines and will plug the very small capillary tube.

Did you lay it down to transport it to its new location?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we did lay it down and oil in the tubes does make sense. Is there a way to get rid of the problem?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, not really. The capillary tube and filter drier could be changed, but usually by the time you see cooling issues, the oil has been through the complete system and successful repair is very unlikely. You could spend a large amount of money trying to be unsuccessful.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks :( I heard that oil is really liquid, and sometimes it does eventually leave the system, only takes some time. I just Don't want to give up yet. Gonna try and leave the fridge alone for at least a day or may be even two before trying again. Thanks a lot for all the detailed explanations ;)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You may have some luck if you leave it sit for a couple days, but it will not leave the drier or the capillary tube, in most cases. Let me know what happens, though! Thank you very much!