Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I have a replacement thermostat kit for my Hotpoint TCL780

I have a replacement thermostat kit for my Hotpoint TCL780 the old ones have a white spot and no other markings, the new set has a white spot and yellow spot, can someone confirm that I put the one with the white spot where the old one with the white spot was and the yellow spot in place of the unmarked one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Do you only have two terminals on both new and old thermostat? Can you post pictures of the old and the new one please?

Drcool :

Do you have two pieces of thermostats on your unit?

Drcool :

Hello, please type your reply on the box below the big frame where you see my responses. then click "reply".

Customer:

Customer:

In answer to your questions,

Drcool :

Yes?

Customer:

Each thermostat has two terminals,

Customer:

There are two thermostats on the dryer.

Customer:

New thermostats
Full Size Image

Customer:

Old Thermostats
Full Size Image

Customer:

As you can see, the old ones, one has a white spot and the other has no colour

Customer:

The new ones, one has a white spot and the other a yellow spot

Drcool :

ok..so you have two pieces of thermostat, each has two terminals. Then in that case, replace each thermostat one by one so that you would not interchange the wires. Remove two wires from one thermostat, replace it, put back the two wires that you removed. It does not matter the marking. Thermostats are just close and open contact so it would not matter where you put the wires. Then do the same thing with the other thermostat. You would not want to remove all 4 wires then you might mix them together and they might not work again. Thank you very much for the pictures. I have seen the markings.

Customer:

I want to check that the one with the white spot replaces the one with the white spot and the one with the yellow spot replaces the one with no colour as I guess they have differet temprature ranges

Drcool :

I can see a yellow spot on the center thermostat. is in it yellow? Yes, please do that. Use the white marking with the old white one. then the yellow to the center

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help, I thought that would be the way but wanted confirmation from an expert so I didn't get it wrong

Drcool :

You are very much welcome. Thank you for using this service.

Drcool :

If the thermostats blows, I suggest you check the outlet vents, make sure it is not clogged with lint or any other dust and dirt that could hinder air flow.

Customer:

Ok, will do, it's time everything has started to fail, as I have just had to replace the water pump too, I hope this is it.

Drcool :

Ok. I hope so also.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.