Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

Hi I have an LG GWL227YBQA American style side by side fridge/freezer. Weve

Hi
I have an LG GWL227YBQA American style side by side fridge/freezer.
We've had it for 5.5 years, there was a power outage on the Friday night and noticed that the freezer was leaking water.
The fridge is connected to a surge protector so I'm pretty confident that this didnt cause the issue.

Emptied the freezer and removed the back panels, evaporator had moisture on it and the feed pipe to it was furred up with ice, there's a definitive demarcation between the two.

Compressor runs fine, hot to the touch, condensor coils are clean and condensor fan is operating fine air flow has been checked.

Ran the test 1, button on the PCB, freezer fan, fridge fan runs as well as condensor fan and compressor.

Its out of warranty and I'm reluctant to get in touch with the LG as their customer support for out of warranty items from what Ive seen on the net in the UK is shocking.

My concern is the demarcation between the feed pipe to the evaporator between furred up and cold to thawed on the evaporator itself. Switched it off for 48hrs to see if it might be a blockage in the feed pipe, currently ongoing.
Ive looked at other options possible PCB fault?
Leak from the cooling system?
Defrost thermister malfunctioning not allowing the freezer to do its job.
Im look at systematic way of faultfinding, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, I am sorry but can you clarify more your concern? What about the demarcation between the feed pipe( Small capillary tube?), between furred up and cold to thawed on the evaporator itself? What do you notice about these?

Customer:

Hi

Drcool :

hello

Drcool :

What seems to be the problem with the pipes?

Customer:

Hi DrCool

Customer:

The feed pipe connecting to the evaporator is frosted up however the rest of the evaporator isnt iced up at all, its not cold with lots of moisture on.

Drcool :

Ok. Thank you for that. If you just plugged it in, that would just be normal since frost would start on the smaller pipe and should gradually flow to the rest of the pipes specially if it back wall is removed and you are just watching it. How long have you noticed this? IS the frost not moving forward towards the rest of the pipe?

Customer:

When I initally pulled the back covers off the evaporator there was a large lump of ice formed around the joint where the feed pipe connects to the evaporator but nothing on the evaporator itself, unplugged the fridge and let it defrost with the doors open.

Customer:

Oops th powered the fridge back on left it for 4/5 hours then checked the evaporator which was not cold to the touch however the feed pipe up to the evaporator was furred with ice

Customer:

The frost is not moving down the pipe

Drcool :

Ok. If the frost is not moving down the pipe, then this is a symptom of lack of refrigerant. Have you given it enough time? at least about half an hour , it should have moved about 2 feet away from the starting point.

Drcool :

I am sorry, did not noticed that you have powered it up 4/5 hours already and the frost is still not moving. With that amount of time, the whole coil should have been frosted up already.

Customer:

So what in your opinion would be the best course of action?

Drcool :

I would say have the unit checked by a licensed tech since working with refrigerant is not an option if you are not licensed. Need to find the leak first, repair the leak, then charge it with the right amount of gas and type of gas. But you still need to get quotes from different engineers since the cost of repair might be very near to the cost of the unit.

Customer:

Thanks very much DrCool you've just confirmed my next course of action.

Drcool :

You are very much welcome. Thank you for using this service.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.