Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Hi, I have an old AEG OKO Lavamat 6450 about 17 years old has

Hi, I have an old AEG OKO Lavamat 6450 about 17 years old has always been fantastic. Stopped working yesterday halfway through the first rinse. There was also a strong electrical burning smell although it didn't trigger the mains and the machine was still on. I couldn't get it to continue - tried going on to "spin" but no response. It did pump out the water. I opened the door manually as instructed to remove the wash. Have you any idea what the problem could be and is it worth repairing the machine in light of its age? We are a family of 4 and do 2 or 3 or more washes per week. Thank you.

Extra information: when I turned the knob on from one function to the next - and later went on to "pump" - usually there is a "clicking" noise indicating that the machine is making the progression from one function to another, but this was no longer the case - no clicks.

Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This sounds like it may be the motor, sorry.
Since you had the problem, has the drum moved at all?
Will it do anything now?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry I saw your answer last night but it was too late for me to respond.

The drum rotates without any resistance. Surely the machine would no longer pump the water out if it was the motor? Could it be the “carbon brushes”? Another thing I did notice was that when I turned the knob on from one function to the next - and later went on to "pump" - usually there is a "clicking" noise indicating that the machine is making the progression from one function to another, but this was no longer the case - no clicks.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer
Thanks for the reply.
There are two separate motors. One pumps the water out, the other turns the drum.
The wash motor has carbon brushes, but the other doesn't.

Can you try selecting a wash cycle and seeing if it fills correctly and then starts to agitate back and forth.
Then put it to the final rinse and i need to know if it will advance into the spin and if it will do the spin?

I should then be able to tell you the problem

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying and the info on the two motors! When I put the washing machine on it doesn't do anything - just makes a buzzing noise as though it is trying to get to the next stage of the cycle but is stuck. It didn't fill with water either. It does the same on any function I turn it to and it won't advance to spin or spin.

Thanks,

Jenny

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer

Thanks.
In this case its sounds like it is the actual programmer/timer at fault.
This is what calls for any part of the cycle.
Unfortunately this is an expensive item to replace and on a machine of this age, would just not be a viable option. I have just checked , and in fact, the part is no longer even available.

Sorry to say, it is time to say goodbye to your trusted old machine and buy a new one, sorry about that.

If I can help you further, please just ask.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your answer, it was helpful and I will certainly give you a good review (although I'm sorry if this means you have to go to the trouble of answering me again). My dad is an electronic engineer (he used to mend machines until they became more complicated electronically) and is specialized in timers so you never know he might be able to do something with it - although this may be one of the "complicated" parts he now feels incompetent with. Could you tell me where the programmer/timer is to be found? Or do you think it has probably burned out and what was causing the smell?

Thanks again for your help.

Jenny

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny
Thanks for the reply.
No problem in replying back to you, glad to help.

Its located behind the main fascia panel.
You would need to remove the lid to access it.
Its possible that the motor on the timer has burnt out, but I fear, with the smell, it will be some internal contacts that have burnt out.

All the best

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.