Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a whirlpool tropical fridge freezer and the last 2/3

I have a whirlpool tropical fridge freezer and the last 2/3 weeks every time i open the fridge door it smells of cooked cabbage. I have cleaned it out and also thrown all old food out but still the smell remains, can you help please
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

The smell may be actually be coming from the back, if you have cleaned everything inside.

Can you tell me what you cleaned the inside with?

Pull the fridge out.

Look on top of the compressor. Be careful as it gets hot.

Is there water in the container on the top of it? Does this smell?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob

On the rear, there is an open cavity at the bottom of the fridge, measuring the full width and about 8 inches in height. Inside the cavity is the motor, can you tell me if the compressor is on this motor. There is no water anywhere near the motor. There may have been at some time as there is a patch of scaling on the top of the motor case.

I have attached a pic of the motor

We used washing up liquid in a bowl of water to clean the inside of the fridge

There is no smell coming from the back of the machine at all.

Dennis PHOTO OF MOTOR

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the picture didn't attach?

By the way there was nothing hot on the motor at all

Dennis

Hi Dennis

The compressor looks like a black bowler hat.

It will be hot if its been running, thats why I warned you to be careful.

If there is no container on top of it, thats fine.

Remove everything from the fridge including the shelves and the bins.
To clean this, pour some white vinegar into warm water and wipe over all the surfaces, then wipe dry.

Then place an open bowl of porridge oats in the fridge and this will absorb any lingering smells.

If you need more advice, please just ask.

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob

The compressor is warm but not too hot to touch, does that tell you anything? I will do the cleaning process later today and hopefully it will solve the problem. If not I will get back in touch

Thanks Sheila

Hi Sheila

Thanks

The compressor runs sporadically, thats normal.
Its only when its running that it will get hot.
The rest of the time it will be cool.
There will be a cooling down period as well, so I think thats when you felt it, so thats fine.

The thorough clean as I described should solve the problem.
If you need more help, please just ask.
In the meantime,

Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob all good now, followed your instructions and it cleared the smell almost immediately

Sheila

Hi Sheila
Thats great news, thanks for letting me know

All the best

Rob