Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.

HOTPOINT DOUBLE OVEN MODEL BD31/51 - First the light on the

Customer Question

HOTPOINT DOUBLE OVEN MODEL BD31/51 - First the light on the top oven/grill blew, I simply thought the bulb had gone and replaced it. Then the following day the bottom fan oven just stopped working and tripped the fuse box. Now does not work at all. Replaced bulb in top oven until we'd chance for a family chat to decide what to do next and then again, on turning top oven on it blew the fuse box. Now Light blown but top oven will work. It feels as if it is a time bomb though - something clearly is wrong. So given the age of the oven, is it worth getting a guy in to repair or should I look to replace. also what is causing this problem ? Mrs P
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This may be the selector switch

These can burn out and give multiple problems

Are you able to dismantle it and check the selector?
Can you also check the model number please?

Thanks
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Roy, thanks for your reply. I'm not able to dismantle this due to severe arthritis in my hands. I think the model number is XXXXX 530 BD31. Does this sound right ? I would guess it's about 8 years old. Thanks Jenny

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny
Thanks

In this case it is probably best to get an "all in" quote for this repair.
This will include all parts and labour to fix this.
Once we know that we can talk about a repair or possible replacement.

Can you tell me your postcode please?
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy - thanks for your prompt reply. I've found someone and arranged for him to come over. It's a guy I have used before but just did not realise he did cookers too. Your help has been spot on and I will rate you at the highest score. No need for further contact - many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did go through the rating process and gave you top marks. Although 60 yrs of age, I am highly IT literate and have used computers since 1986 so I don't understand why this weird website keeps nagging me. No problems with your advice though - I regard you as honest and reliable in your advice. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had never subscribed to the service because the repair man came today and fixed the problem and gave me a lot of technical info which all seems plausible. I should have just called him in the first place but no anxieties about your advice which was good and solid. I would describe myself as highly satisfied with my expert which I have already done and rated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy - you are a top guy with your advice. However, I do not like this website and it's constant nagging (cooker is now repaired) and will be blocking all future correspondence. Although I regard you as wise, honest and having integrity, I do NOT like this website and think the way it tries to "suck you in" to subscription is not honest and frankly, a waste of time. I am now blocking all correspondence from the website but this does not reflect on you whom I regard as honest and reliable. Thanks for your help and all the best in the future.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny

I sincerely apologise for any upset caused by the website.

You rated me as giving you great service, which I truly appreciate.

I shall be forwarding your message to the owners of the website and will be asking them to stop sending you these automated emails. I really appreciate that you realise these are not sent from me personally.

Im glad to hear that the cooker is now repaired, and wish you all the very best

Rob