Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

I have an old kitchen aid fridge freezer on top model. It has

I have an old kitchen aid fridge freezer on top model. It has started to have a water problem. Water is collecting in the bottom of the fridge. What can I do.
Good morning, your issue is the defrost drain is either clogged or frozen with ice. would you happen to know the m,model number so I can see if diagrams are available for this ?you can fix this yourself I would just like to take a look at your model before we start. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model no KTRS21KFAL00

Ser E61812712

Date of man. 04/1997

okay perfect.what you need to do is first boil some water. then you need to remove the back panel inside the freezer number 16 on this diagram. sometimes you need to remove the bottom tray in the freezer before you can get the back out. the bottom tray is number 49. once you have access to the inside behind that panel you will see the evaporator coils (silver coils) right below them in the very center there is a drain hole that the defrost water goes down. this is probably covered in ice. take t6he boiling water and pour is over the ice until it all melts and this drains freely again. they do sell a fix kit for this so it doesnt happen again. the repair kit is part number. 819043, Drain Strap 819043 Main Product View