Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

Hi My whirlpool fridge/freezer is making a funny noise & when

Hi My whirlpool fridge/freezer is making a funny noise & when I open the door the fine panel between the freezer & fridge feels hot
Can you pull this away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor at the bottom and check the fan ? is the fan next to the compressor making the noise ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi am at work so will do this when I get home. This American style fridge/freezer is about 5 years old & I think the fan is at the bottom?

yes the fan will be at the bottom in the back. theres a cover over it. If you can get me a model number I will see if theres diagrams I can send you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I won't be able to reply to you until Monday but is there any chance of the fridge going on fire?

well its not good if the fan stops, Its rare they catch fire though. what I would do if the fan is the issue and is stopped or is about to is disconnect the fan and get a house fan to place behind the refrigerator to cool it until you can replace the fan. this will also cool the center strip down. the reason the strip is hot is because the lines run through there.its to keep moisture off the door gaskets.